Introduction

This blog will track the preparation and progress of a journey from the Antarctic circle near the bottom tip of Argentina to the top of North America via the amazing island of Cuba and many other interesting places along the way such as Uruguay, Chile, Brazil, Paraguay, Panama and the US. Some of the highlights for me will be spending time at Iguazu Falls, experiencing a Boca Juniors football match in Buenos Aires, kayaking with the whales in the Antarctic and attending a screenwriter's conference in Los Angeles!

Tuesday 8 October 2013

Monterey Aquarium

Feeding the fish at Monterey Aquarium.
Monterey Aquarium was amazing! One of the best science centres I have visited in the world - and I have been to a lot! I was only there a couple of hours, but could easily have spent all day there.

I learnt so much about marine life, even though I am not particularly interested in the subject. I came away educated about which fish to eat and not - in terms of reducing pollution and helping with conservation, breeding, etc. I learned about jellyfish, sea otters, but more importantly, I came away wanting to know more!

The highlight was a talk about the fish that live out in the bay, which was given from inside a giant fish tank. As the presenter hand-fed fish, several sharks were circling her - see photo. Yes, that is right, she had a microphone inside her mask! As you can imagine, this talk drew a large crowd.

The place was massive, there must have been over a thousand people of all ages in there, and it was only a Monday lunchtime.

Next stop is Carmel - I just bought ticket to see a famous Irish folk/rock band, who are playing there tomorrow evening. Any guesses who they might be?

No comments:

Post a Comment