Introduction

This blog will track the preparation and progress of a journey from the Antarctic circle near the bottom tip of Argentina to the top of North America via the amazing island of Cuba and many other interesting places along the way such as Uruguay, Chile, Brazil, Paraguay, Panama and the US. Some of the highlights for me will be spending time at Iguazu Falls, experiencing a Boca Juniors football match in Buenos Aires, kayaking with the whales in the Antarctic and attending a screenwriter's conference in Los Angeles!

Monday 7 October 2013

Big Sur and Hollister


The Waterfall Walk at Big Sur.
I drove up the Californian coastline with a mixture of cars, campervans and motorbikes from Morro Bay to the Big Sur. It was a beautiful day and one the most spectacular coastal drives I have ever done!

Just before I arrived here, the U.S. Federal Government ran out of money, and has sent all of its non-essential employees home without pay, so all of the National Parks are closed. This meant that I was unable to visit Yosemite National Park which was top of my sight-seeing list.

This did not apply to the state parks such as the Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, where I went on the Waterfall Walk. If you look carefully enough at the photo, you can see the waterfall pouring onto the beach, just to the side of my left elbow. Thanks to Narelle for recommending this stop.

Johnny's Bar and Grill at Hollister.
I then cut inland to visit a friend in Hollister, who owns Johnny's Bar and Grill. This is where The Wild One was shot, the 1953 film about outlaw bikers starring Marlon Brando.

I have just arrived back at the coast because tomorrow, I plan to spend the day sight-seeing around the Monterey and Carmel area.

2 comments:

  1. Big Sur is a special spot. Also some great wilderness hiking just above it. I just returned to Colorado from the Bay Area so it looks like I missed you passing through San Francisco by a week or so. If you are planning to head all the way to Prudhoe Bay in Alaska I recommend getting a copy of The Milepost. (http://milepost.com/) I may have told you I made the journey there in 2008 and have attached the blog link to this post. Are you planning a winter trip there? That's a whole different experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This trip ends on Wednesday, when I return to Australia, so the Alaskan leg of Tip To Top will have to take place during my next trip to the Americas. Not sure when that will be, but in the meantime I will make sure I read The Milepost.

      Delete