Introduction

This blog will track the preparation and progress of a journey from the Antarctic circle near the bottom tip of Argentina to the top of North America via the amazing island of Cuba and many other interesting places along the way such as Uruguay, Chile, Brazil, Paraguay, Panama and the US. Some of the highlights for me will be spending time at Iguazu Falls, experiencing a Boca Juniors football match in Buenos Aires, kayaking with the whales in the Antarctic and attending a screenwriter's conference in Los Angeles!

Friday 11 October 2013

A day in San Francisco

Sea lions basking in San Francisco harbour.
I spent the last night of this holiday in San Jose, which is about 50 miles south of San Francisco. I had to return the van to Fisherman's Wharf by 10 am, and it took nearly three hours in the traffic to get there. No comment!

Once I had dropped off the van, I took a 90-minute cruise on the harbour. We went under the Golden Gate Bridge and then a couple of times around Alcatraz Island before passing more than a hundred barking sea lions on our way back in.

One of the many Exploratorium exhibits
I then went to see the Exploratorium science museum. The museum has moved to a large warehouse building on Pier 15. It only took me about 30 minutes to walk around because there was little of interest inside that I hadn't seen before. Apparently the California Academy of Sciences is now the place to go for science in this city, but I didn't have time to check it out.

At the airport, United Airlines were offering all passengers a US$400 travel voucher to go on their flight the following day because they had over-booked. They kept increasing the offer to get more passengers to change. By the time we started to board, it had gone up to US$600 with a late check-out at the airport hotel and free meal vouchers all day. They sounded desperate, so I told them I would do it if they booked me in to first class, but they declined!




No comments:

Post a Comment