Introduction

This blog will track the preparation and progress of a journey from the Antarctic circle near the bottom tip of Argentina to the top of North America via the amazing island of Cuba and many other interesting places along the way such as Uruguay, Chile, Brazil, Paraguay, Panama and the US. Some of the highlights for me will be spending time at Iguazu Falls, experiencing a Boca Juniors football match in Buenos Aires, kayaking with the whales in the Antarctic and attending a screenwriter's conference in Los Angeles!

Friday 24 February 2012

Days 1 & 2: Argentina and Uruguay

A pre-tour chat with my
mate Diego Maradona
On the stadium tour
My post-tour comments for TV
I flew out of Sydney at 11 am on Monday, and 13 pleasant hours later I had crossed the international date line, and so I arrived in Buenos Aires an hour before I left on the same day!

I ate lunch in a quiet back-street cafe with ambient latin music, and then took a one-hour ferry trip across the river to the small town of Colonia in Uruguay. Being a long weekend, it was so busy that every backpackers' hostel and hotel that I tried was fully booked - until I found a room in a four-star hotel. Beggars can't be choosers, so I took it and went for a swim, a workout in their gym, and then a sauna before crashing for my first sleep in a day and a half!

The next morning after a walk around the town, I took the ferry back across to Buenos Aires and caught a local bus up to La Boca. I visited a football museum there, and then went on a guided tour of the Boca Juniors football stadium.

After that I headed out to the domestic airport to catch my flight up to the tropical north of Argentina near the border of Brazil. We landed in the middle of a savage tropical storm, which was the first rain they had experienced for months. I caught a bus to my hostel and booked myself on a tour to see the Iguazu Falls the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment