Introduction

This blog will track the preparation and progress of a journey from the Antarctic circle near the bottom tip of Argentina to the top of North America via the amazing island of Cuba and many other interesting places along the way such as Uruguay, Chile, Brazil, Paraguay, Panama and the US. Some of the highlights for me will be spending time at Iguazu Falls, experiencing a Boca Juniors football match in Buenos Aires, kayaking with the whales in the Antarctic and attending a screenwriter's conference in Los Angeles!

Monday 12 March 2012

The most amazing football match ever!

The highlight of my trip so far was going to watch a football match in Buenos Aires, which has to be the most amazing match I have ever been to - and I have been to many! The Boca Juniors stadium is sold out. The teams enter the field, the crowd get even louder - if that is possible - and the confetti goes everywhere. This is a local derby after all, so there are a large contingent of away fans. Boca haven't lost for 33 games in the league and Independiente have lost all of their first four games this season, so are bottom of the table.

I have often wondered how the fans can see through all of those streamers. I was sitting in the third tier and they were in the second, so I will never know! Independiente score after less than one minute. Instead of a shocked quietness around the stadium, the home fans take it in their stride and get louder - they are amazing! Independiente score again only a few minutes later, and the Boca fans up the tempo again. Six minutes later Boca pull one goal back and it is game on.

However, after half an hour, Independiente score a third and their fans' wildest dreams are coming true! Boca score another goal on the stroke of half time, so go in 2-3 down at the break. My friend says he is confident that Boca can turn it around and win. Just listen to the crowd he says, they really believe in their team. I am not so sure. It would have to be a very unlucky team that scores three goals at Boca and then loses. The teams come back out for the second half and the entertainment continues... Boca equalise after 20 mins, and then take the lead with only 15 minutes to go.


With only two minutes left, I shuffle through the dancing and singing Boca supporters to take a photo of the scoreboard behind me, which shows the memorable 4-3 come-back score. And then, guess what? Independiente equalise - their supporters are now letting off red flairs into the dark night sky. Everyone around me is shocked, but then the chanting starts up again, as there are still several minutes of injury time to play. The ever-hopeful Boca fans still think there is time for a winner.

After I have shuffled back to my seat, four minutes of injury time have passed, so I am waiting for the ref to blow his final whistle, when Independiente suddenly score a famous winner with the last kick of the game!
It is a shame that I am leaving Argentina tomorrow to fly to Chile because I can't wait to go to my next football Argentine game!

1 comment:

  1. This information is very helpful for us. Champions League football is favorite for me. Thanks for your kind information.

    ReplyDelete